Union of China & North Korea

The power of the people of China and (North) Korea is great

Designer: Ding Yunqu (丁允渠)
1955, October
Zhong Chao renmin liliang da (中朝人民力量大)
Publisher: Chaohua meishu chubanshe (朝花美术出版社)

http://chineseposters.net/posters/e13-920.php

I chose this poster because it has to do with Korea and China’s alliance and friendship. On the left you have the young Korean girl dressed in a traditional hanbok and on the right you have the young Chinese girl in red. Both of them are smiling happily while holding onto each other. Flowers surround the girls with a clear blue sky in the background. The feeling from the poster is heartwarming and enjoyable to look at. By having young girls as the focus, you feel more inclined to believe in a happy and good relationship. There are also music stanzas below the flowers, adding to the innocence and serenity of the picture. The translation below says, “The power of the people of China and (North) Korea is great.” With the union of the two girls in the picture, holding hands and arms slung around each other, it’s easy to believe. The children’s innocence and the beauty surrounding them makes the relationship seem tranquil and friendly.

2 thoughts on “Union of China & North Korea

1. melaniehouston

I am glad that you picked this poster because it gave me a new perspective on the relationship between Korea and China. Prior to seeing this poster, I never really thought about the differences between Korea and China. Does this mean that Koreans were more traditional than the Chinese? In addition, I find the translation of the poster interesting: “The power of the people of China and (North) Korea is great.” I agree with you in the fact that having children in the poster creates a sense of harmony and peace.

2. melaniehouston

I am glad that you picked this poster because it gave me a new perspective on the relationship between Korea and China. Prior to seeing this poster, I never really thought about the differences between Korea and China. Does this mean that Koreans were more traditional than the Chinese? In addition, I find the translation of the poster interesting: “The power of the people of China and (North) Korea is great.” I agree with you in the fact that having children in the poster makes it easier to believe that there is peace.